Last updated: October 20, 2018
HGYS takes its obligations as a Cultural performing organisation and as a School very seriously and has implemented relevant codes and policies to meet these obligations.
Condition of Participation
The participant recognises that while HGYS will take all reasonable precautions during any HGYS activity, the practice of martial arts, lion dancing and drumming comes with the risk of accident, injury, sickness, illness or even death to the participant.
HGYS Code of Conduct
All HGYS Instructors abide by the HGYS Code of Conduct.
This Code of Conduct outlines appropriate standards of behaviour by all instructors towards all members of HGYS including children/younger adults.
The Code of Conduct aims to protect members and reduce any opportunities for abuse or harm to occur. It also helps senior members and instructors by providing them with guidance on how to best support students and how to avoid or better manage difficult situations. All HGYS Instructors are required to comply, and all members required to be aware of this Code.
All HGYS instructors are responsible for promoting the safety and wellbeing of all members by:
- Adhering to our Child Safe Policy, and other policies
- Taking all reasonable steps to protect members from abuse
- Treating everyone with respect, including listening and valuing their ideas and opinions
- Welcoming all children and their families and carers and being inclusive
- Respecting other cultures as well as our own, and accepting religious and political differences
- Modelling appropriate adult behaviour
- Listening to members and responding to them appropriately
- Reporting and acting on any breaches of this Code of Conduct, complaints or concerns
- Complying with our guidelines on physical contact with m embers
- Working with members in an open and transparent ways so that other instructors are aware of any situations that may arise
- Respecting the privacy of members and their families, and only disclosing information to people who have a need to know
HGYS instructors will not:
HGYS is a Child Safe organisation as recognised under Victorian Legislation.
- Seek to use younger members in any way to meet the needs of adults
- Ignore or disregard any concerns, suspicions or disclosures of child abuse
- Use prejudice, oppressive behaviour or language with any members
- Engage in violent physical games
- Discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, culture, vulnerability or sexuality
- Initiate unnecessary physical contact with members regarding activities they can do for themselves, such as using the toilet or changing clothes.
- Develop ‘special’ relationships with specific members or show favouritism the through inappropriate attention
- Contact members inappropriately over phone, email or social media.
- Have unauthorised contact with members online or by phone.
Health and Safety
- All HGYS Instructors are First Aid trained.
- All HGYS members who work with Children hold valid Working With Children Checks as provided by the Victorian Government.
- HGYS is a member of the Wushu, Taichi and Qigong Association (WTQA) and holds appropriate approvals for the use of weapons for martial arts demonstration and practice.
Collection, use and disclosure of personal information
- HGYS will maintain the privacy of any information provided by our members, whether Adult or Children.
- Any membership information provided to HGYS will be used solely by HGYS to manage the school's activities..
- Any data provided to HGYS will not be shared outside of the HGYS Martial Arts School, unless required by law.
HGYS will not share any personal data with any third parties or third-party applications.
If the public or any HGYS member wishes to discuss any aspect of HGYS' policies please contact
Wyman Young Chief Instructor
m: 0412 261 998
All matters will be treated confidentially.